How to Hire Right Candidates?
I have come across many job agencies that do a terrible job at recruitment, primarily because they have a wrong idea about the whole recruitment process itself. If you need talent to power your business and I do not know of ONE organization that doesn’t, then don’t make your recruitment process so unfriendly that it drives candidates away.
Most mid-sized companies add more and more steps to their recruitment process all the time. Eventually, only those candidates who are badly in need of a job will stick it out till the end of the whole long tail process of recruitment.
Below are the few simple ways to define & fine tune the process to ensure maximum benefit
- Design a Job Description in such a way that it does not merely sound mechanical, rather excites candidates.
- Write a Job Ad creatively that will show how the candidate can make a difference to the team, Business Unit & the Organization rather than including just the tasks that are required
- Respond to applicants quickly whether the candidate is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. This will increase the sense of seriousness in hiring and the brand image in the eyes of candidates
- Keep the interviews rounds low, schedule them to happen fast. Ideally, all rounds should complete within one week of the application
- Do a good candidate management. Ask the candidates to send a list of questions that they have before the interview, or call the candidates and ask them. Their questions are more important than yours
- Make interviews more human conversations and interactive. Not just interrogative
- Understand what candidates want, why does he/she want to shift jobs, what is he/she looking for in this company. Don’t hire by selling the opportunity, hire by listening to the candidate
- Be transparent. Be upfront about the challenges in the Job
These steps are easy, involves no extra cost and will help you make better hires.