Why Employer Branding is Important?
Every organization, whether small, mid-sized or large; they all need employer branding to attract top talent. Every organization does employer branding in some way or the other. This article not only highlights the criticality of executing an employer branding exercise but also provide details on what are the different ways to make your employer brand more attractive.
Most businesses succeed or fail because of the quality of people they have. However, not every employer is able to attract or hire top talent that they want on board. There are multiple reasons why employers with deep pockets to hire top talent to fail and these include:
- Lack of attractiveness of the brand as an employer
- Lack of attractiveness of Offer they make to potential employee
- Current Employees not speaking highly of the employer
- Employer’s Physical Office not depicting any culture, value, impact during the physical interview stage.
- Employer’s Website not effective in communicating the company’s vision, mission, culture, business and impact
- Employer’s reviews and ratings on GlassDoor and other review sites
- Pull from the current employer of the candidate
- Pull from competing employers
- Pull from large Multinationals or Global Brands
With so many factors working against the employer, it is no surprise that the recruitment process for top talent is challenging. Not only, you need to have strong recruiters or staffing agency supporting you in your endeavours to hire top talent but you need to have strong employer branding in place.
There are many approaches one can take to create a strong employer brand in order to become an employer of choice and create a magnetic pull to attract top talent. Depending on the severity of hiring challenges, the money you can spend and how strong a pull anyone wants to create; the employer can decide to execute some or all of the following:
- Internal & External Communication
- Job Marketing
- Social Media Recruiting
- Job Fair Participation
- Employee Talent Network
- Networking Events
- Glassdoor Rating Management
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Relevant Company Page Followers on Linkedin
- Career Site Creation and Management
- Leadership and Employee Video Interviews
- Employer Value Proposition- why a candidate should be interested?
- Focused campaigns on attracting specific skill or background candidates on social media platform, especially Linkedin.
If you are a startup or a small to mid-sized organization, I would recommend that you focus on Glassdoor Rating Management, Linkedin and Job Marketing. This will allow you to keep your outflow limited and get the highest possible returns on your spend. There are organizations who have executed intense employer branding campaigns and they have not only solved the challenges of hiring top talent but they also reduced the overall cost in acquiring the best talent.